Thursday, October 16, 2008

Launch Day!

So on the day before I go away for a little extended weekend camping trip (Fall River Lake in the picture), I decide to launch a blog. Not that I am expecting anything huge to happen, but this is something new for me as I never really had been a journaling type of person, although I do frequent an online faith forum. Perhaps it is the Spirit at work, prompting me to move away from the short, couple of sentence interactions of a forum to the more introspective sport of blogging.

Anyway, while enjoying the quiet sounds of camping, I usually manage to catch up on some reading. I plan on reading “Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens”, by Neil Cole, but first I plan on finishing up a book I’ve already started called “Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples” by Thom S. Rainer & Eric Geiger. Considering that the UMC mission is to “make disciples of Jesus Christ” (and as recently added at last General Conference) “for the transformation of the world”, I wanted to see what these gentlemen had to say about the process of making disciples. After getting through part of the book, I was wondering if these gentlemen ever read Wesley’s thoughts about Christian Perfection and the early Methodist societies and class meetings, because their process thinking would seem to line up pretty good with Wesley’s Methodism! Maybe I’ll post more about it when I finish.

I pray that God is leading me into something new with this blog thing. Please join me as I find out what new thing will be revealed!

No comments: