Monday, April 20, 2009

Leaving Covenant

Some time ago, I mentioned in a post comment I was going to go do some reading about Christian Ethics. I acquired three books but have not been able to read adequately. I started with Hauerwas’s Peaceable Kingdom. Alas, I may have reached too soon for this tome. I found myself having to re-read portions on a daily basis, and my current ability to sit and take notes while reading is limited. I put it down for another time when I could spend the quality time to give it a better reading and reached for something more digestible given my current reading habits.

I reached for the following book, a portion of which I quote below:
Lovin, Robert W. Christian Ethics An Essential Guide.
Nashville: Abington Press, 200, pp 53-54.

I came across the following paragraph on a page that I dog-eared immediately, as it seems to apply to some situations with which I have observed in a number of situations. I believe it applies at many levels and in many situations. I believe the paragraph sums up something that I have been living, but not been able to adequately express.

"Covenant does not preclude interpretations of ancient rules that help us to understand what they mean in new circumstances. What covenant precludes is an individualistic approach to this interpretative task that examines the rules and decides what to keep and what to discard according to ones own set of values and then acts on those decisions without regard for others. Interpretation in a covenant community always involves a great deal of listening, and the decision to act must involve choice; not only about what is right and what is wrong, but also about what course of action will sustain this process of communication for the future. The decision to leave a covenant is not made by deciding to do this thing rather than that. It is made by deciding to not try anymore to understand or to persuade."


I feel I may need to laminate this on a card for my wallet. I am wondering if I will need to read this paragraph quite a bit in the coming years.

1 comment:

Larry said...

And that was the lighter reading?

Nice quote...lots to think about there