Thursday, November 6, 2008

Am I a Methodist?

I voted. I did not vote for Obama. Now I am wondering if I am a Methodist. I read the Bishops’ statement, this and other articles from the UMC news feed, and I wonder....am I really a United Methodist?

I fully understand and appreciate the significance and history of the election of a black person to the presidency of the USA. I am very proud that our country has reached one of many pinnacles that are there for this country and celebrate that my country reached the pinnacle of electing a black person as president! But to me, this election was never about electing a person of “race”. When I read these articles, it makes it seem like that is the important thing.

My political belief is one that supports personal responsibility. My first responsibility is to God, then to my country. As such, I did not think that Obama’s policies support that concept. In my opinion, Obama’s policies tended to have my county force the responsibility instead of allowing me to choose my responsibility. I am not bothered nor elated about who won. God is the center, and God was not on the ballot and God’s will be done.

This quote from the Bishops’ statement emphasized in the UMC news feed bothers me:

“We applaud your willingness to articulate a vision of change for the United States that is based on hope for all the people, especially those who are disinherited and disenfranchised.”

This implies, in my opinion, that my vote was not supporting the same thing. I do not think that this is what was intended by that statement, but it does trouble me. It makes it seem like the Bishops think if I did not vote for Obama, I believed otherwise. As a Lay Leader at my Church, one of my responsibilities is to teach about the connection aspects in the UMC. If I did not vote Obama, can I do that now? Perhaps if I read the entire statement, I might think otherwise? But I do not know the entire statement. Am I a proper United Methodist Lay Leader?

Another emphasized quote:

“Throughout his campaign, Obama refused to reject his ethnicity. At the same time, he refused to let it define him.”

Is the UMNS emphasizing that which we as Methodists already knew? The tone of the article is one that implies we Methodists who did not vote for Obama did not already know this. The article also seems to imply that if I did not vote for Obama, that I did not think that social justice issues are important. It even implies that because my uncertainty of Obama’s readiness to lead, I am acting in a racist manner. This is evident in the quote:

“Obama is "mysterious," "we know little about him" and on and on. So race in America is still an issue.”

Race was not the issue to me, but the quote troubled me.

Rev. Adam Hamilton’s article at least acknowledged the personal responsibility aspects of Obama’s policies, but I am still troubled by some of his other statements.

I am still left with the thought: Am I really a United Methodist?

No comments: